Skip to main content

That is all.

Originally posted to furiousxxgeorge on Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 09:05 PM PDT.

Tags

EMAIL TO A FRIEND X
Your Email has been sent.
You must add at least one tag to this diary before publishing it.

Add keywords that describe this diary. Separate multiple keywords with commas.
Tagging tips - Search For Tags - Browse For Tags

?

More Tagging tips:

You can add a private note to this diary when hotlisting it:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from your hotlist?
Rescue this diary, and add a note:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary from Rescue?

You must be a member of a group to use this feature.

Add a quick update to your diary without changing the diary itself:
Are you sure you want to remove this diary?
(The diary will be removed.)
Are you sure you want to save these changes to the published diary?

Comment Preferences

•  That is all is Not a diary. (6+ / 0-)

Please delete and post under as a comment in an open thread.  And please read Granny Doc's rec'd diary.  Thanks much for being considerate of the other posters here.

•  God, you are just a diary Nazi, aren't you? (3+ / 0-)

Lighten up, for God's sake.

•  No. I'm taking Granny Doc's advise (3+ / 0-)
        marina, Marcus Tullius, Katie71

to very politely point out to diarists who don't follow the very clearly spelled out rules to please delete them in the hope that those who write diaries of substance with research and information can have a chance of being read rather than being kicked off because of diaries such as this that are in fact merely a comment.  These pictures could have made someone smile just as easily if posted as a comment.  But they wouldn't then have made another diary disappear.  Unfortunately, lately, there's a good chance the one that disappeared wouldn't have had much more substance.

Not long ago, nearly every diary posted had some new information, often a great deal, because diarists researched and spent time writing comprehensive diaries.  Lately, the vast majority contain nothing but some vague thought that popped into someone's head.  They do nothing to further the purpose of this site, which is to elect Democrats.

•  The picture is new info (3+ / 0-)
          raster44, TheMagicJew, catwho

It's a great picture that makes them both look great and the only place I've seen it previously is in one thread on another forum and the places I've posted it tonight.

It deserves wider circulation.   Not everything in politics is e-punditry.

•  My point was not that what you posted wasn't (0+ / 0-)

interesting or new or enjoyable.  It was that it doesn't comport with the rules that are very clearly set out for diaries - at least 3 paragraphs - and could just as easily have been presented in a comment as taking up an entire diary entry.  The number of diaries we can see is very limited, and every time a new one is posted, someone else's drops off.  If you haven't lately, please read the rules.

I'm sorry if it seems I'm picking on your diary.  Truth is, most of the diaries posted in the last few days have tempted me to request it be deleted because it doesn't follow the rules.  I'm desperately missing the days when this site was filled with information I could get nowhere else - or only with doing much research myself.  Lately, people aren't willing to put effort into their diaries, perhaps because they know they will stay up for only a few minutes and therefore be seen by few.  And I think that's a real shame.

•  With all due respect... (2+ / 0-)
              raster44, TheMagicJew

Diaries should be substantive. A good guideline is that if you don't have at least three solid paragraphs to write about your subject, you should probably post a comment in an open thread, or in a recent diary or front-page post that covers a topic relevant to what you wish to write about.

This is a general guideline, not a hard and fast rule.  In this case the substance is the image, which is political gold and should have a greater audience, it is original to the site, it is fun and amusing.  If I padded it with extraneous text to make three paragraphs it would be a waste of my time and the reader's time.

I understand you are having problems with volume, but you need to back off with the backseat moderation. This is the last three months of a presidential election.  It will be crazy as hell and unmanageable all the way no matter what anyone does.  Ride the wave for now.

•  I believe you're out of line. (3+ / 0-)

(and yeah, since you didn't want anybody to talk about ice cream, I'm the guy who threw you a donut.)

Granny Doc notwithstanding, it's a good diary. And even if it doesn't meet the standard, you could have suggested the author ADD content, instead of posting to Open Thread.

And I know that's what they say, but I don't frequent Open Threads, because it's too easy to get buried in what you DON'T want to talk about.

Nowhere did the word "Palin" appear. It's the first diary I've ever seen on dKos to even mention ice cream, and believe it or not, there are progressive politics around it.

For instance, did you know that the carton size for most ice creams is being phased downward? It now costs upwards of five dollars to get not even 1.75 quarts, which is what they sized it down to (from a half gallon - 2 quarts) before they sized it down again to 1.50 quarts. And of course they try to trick you with the packaging.

I'm surprised Publix still offers a full half gallon for less than $5.

It's a derivative of rising fuel costs, but it's also a decline in dairies.

We shouldn't be afraid to talk about ANYTHING political on dKos, and lighting up everybody because one of Granny Doc's diaries slid down the Recent without making Top Rec'd, doesn't play.

I've written good diaries too, if I do say so myself, and you don't see me having an aneurysm because they stay fresh less than an hour.

•  You either have never read the FAQs or (1+ / 0-)
                TheMagicJew

are intentially choosing to totally ignore them if you gave me a donut.  That is so far off base, it's pitiful.  Those are to be used only for trolls - and even then sparingly - or if foul names are used against a poster.  They are specifically not to be used because you disagree with something someone says.

Granny Doc didn't write her diary because one of her got kicked off.  That's hardly something she needs to worry about.  She wrote it because there is so much blatant disregard for the rules the Kos - the owner of this site who generously allows the rest of us to post our views - established and asks that we all abide by.

I'm quite amazed you didn't write a diary on the cost of ice cream - you're able to spend more than 3 paragraphs on it.

•  Yeah (2+ / 0-)
                  Peace JD, snootless

I uprated that comment because I disagree with the 0, but consider the guideline:

Hide rating: Comments whose only purpose is to disrupt the discussion. Do not hide posts simply because you disagree with what the commenter is saying. Any given user can give out a maximum of five hide-ratings per day.

I can easily see how a comment of "delete this diary" could be considered an attempt to disrupt the discussion, if you are of the opinion that the diary should not be deleted.

•  Sometimes (3+ / 0-)
                  Peace JD, furiousxxgeorge, snootless

Its nice to have an ice cream break, nice and cool when we get hot.

"Get off the phone" - Barack Obama

by TheMagicJew on Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 10:45:20 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Consider it a shot across the bow. (0+ / 0-)

I think it's passive-aggressively mean spirited of you to 1) jump the tip jar, 2) not offer a more constructive suggestion to the diarist, 3) sarcastically thank him for "considering the other posters", and 4) continue to harp on it.

If those aren't part of Granny Doc's doctrine, they should be, too. Since you seem to have unique insight into her thought process (including why she had the Meta-meltdown), perhaps you can explain why she didn't think to be more supportive of people trying to get their topic off on Kos.

I'm not even the only person who reacted that way. I may be the only person who threw you a donut, but I stand by that.

And there you go again, "I'm quite amazed you didn't write a diary on the cost of ice cream" - as if you have ANY RIGHT WHATSOEVER to tell me ANYTHING concerning what I should do.

Good riddance to you, sir.

•  I don't post tip jars (0+ / 0-)

So that part isn't a problem. :P

•  You truly need to get a grip. (0+ / 0-)

Nowhere did I make any attempt to tell you what to do.  I merely commented on what you did.

Second, I didn't intent my "thanks" to be sarcastic in any way.  It was similar to the thanks I insert at the end of the majority of my letters when I make a request of any kind in them - it's common courtesy rather than sarcasm.

Third, I don't have to guess at Granny Doc's thought process - she spells it out pretty clearly in her diary.

I have been courteous in all of my responses, - and my subsequent posts have all consisted only of responses - and even the diarist has not exhibited your level of ire - or any, for that matter.  I won't even begin to try and analyze why you'd be so invested in this.

I don't know whether you've been here long, but the SOP - and in fact the FAQs state - that if someone believes a diary doesn't comply with the FAQs, the appropriate procedure is to simply state that fact and request that the diary be deleted.  I strongly suspect you have never read them, and I'd suggest that you do, except I can only imagine how irate you'd get if I did.

•  By the way, I'm not a sir. n/t (0+ / 0-)
    •  This diary made me smile. (6+ / 0-)

Also, Barack doesn't like ice cream. Poor guy has no choice but to eat stuff like that when he's out on the stump.

Obamascrapbook Proud Citizen of Barack America!

by jenontheshore on Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 09:15:54 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  farker (1+ / 0-)
    furiousxxgeorge

It's like watching an unknown winning a boxing match vs. the world champ and asking him halfway why he didn't knock his opponent out in the first round.

by bsmcneil on Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 09:09:19 PM PDT

•  Biden my friend, we are about the same age, (0+ / 0-)

actually i am older than you, i highly urge you to stop eating ice cream. It is not good for you. Obama at least works out daily, but you, my friend, you look like not so much. So, watch out for those unwanted and empty calories.

Don't give a damn a/t each & every politician currently alive in the US. Last time i voted for the top part of the ballot was 1972. Never missed SB election

by Mutual Assured Destruction on Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 09:12:48 PM PDT

•  But... but... it's soooooo goooood! (3+ / 0-)
    •  Respectfully disagree about ice cream (1+ / 0-)
      furiousxxgeorge

Depends on what it's made of and how much you eat. I admit a bias--my ex has an ice cream shop where she makes ice cream from all natural ingredients using fresh fruit, German chocolate, madagascar vanilla and her own cream base bought from a local dairy and made to her specifications. After her ice cream, Ben and Jerry's tastes like cardboard. Her cherry almond with chocolate chips is the best ice cream I have ever had.

But you only eat a little at a time because it is rich. As Aristotle said, all things in moderation.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. Marx (no not that one, Groucho)

by marketgeek on Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 09:31:31 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Sugar and carbs are bad. They jacks up your (2+ / 0-)
        Peace JD, marketgeek

insulin level out of the roof. For folks older than actually 40, it is a bad thing and for folks who have abdomen fat, like our friend Biden, it is a no no. Okay, okay, maybe, once in a while.

by Mutual Assured Destruction on Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 09:46:35 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  I know, me too (0+ / 0-)

but just once in a while. Also, in really good ice cream, the calories are mostly fat, not carbs and sugar. Not that that is a good recommendation. Sigh.

by marketgeek on Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 09:56:17 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  abdomen fat? please. n/t (0+ / 0-)

"These are the times that try men's souls."-- Thomas Paine

by sniperfire on Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 09:57:36 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  Well, some of us older guys (2+ / 0-)

do have it and it apparently is an indicator for a much higher risk of heart disease and other nasties. Obama appears to be a 20 percent body fat guy, the ideal, and the assessment of Biden by MAD looks about right to me.

The way the body types go is pear shaped (think fat ass to slim shoulders), sort of all over (big hips, fat ass, some belly, less chest) and the midsection fat types with slim legs and ass, and the fat like an expanded section that includes abdomen and chest and back. Thoracic fat is the most dangerous condition. OTOH, if he is otherwise healthy and he doesn't have diabetes or high blood pressure, there is no reason he can't have ice cream in moderation, which was the original worry by MAD.

I can't reaaly find fault for MAD worrying about the health of Senator Biden--he wants him to do what Spock says: Live long and prosper.

by marketgeek on Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 10:16:07 PM PDT

[ Parent ]

•  There's a story that goes with that... (1+ / 0-)
    furiousxxgeorge

...asked if he wanted hard or soft ice cream, Biden said, "I'm getting hard!"  snickered... then said, "I'm a hard man!"

True story!

It profits a PUMA nothing to give their soul for the whole world... but for McCain? --Sir Thomas More (if he were here now)

by LordMike on Sat Aug 30, 2008 at 09:29:05 PM PDT

•  seriously (3+ / 0-)
    Peace JD, gustynpip, Libertaria

not to be a dick, but this just isn't what diaries are for.  diaries are not blogs, they're not just for random, "oh this is cool, this made me smile" type stuff.  they're for serious analysis and insight.

grannydoc is entirely right when she says that too many substantive diaries are being passed over because too many people are posting either the exact same thing over and over or nothing at all.  again, i really do hate to be the asshole here, but this falls firmly into the latter category.

i'm sure you've gotten a lot out of diaries in the past.  the reason for that is that other people follow the rules in order to keep this a high-information community.

•  I understand (4+ / 0-)
      Peace JD, raster44, TheMagicJew, snootless

But sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.  I'm not a prolific diary author, I only post when I feel I have to.  This is one of those cases.

Subtle, good natured fun is necessary when you tackle hard work.  Biden and Obama work harder than we can imagine, and in the middle of that they take a break to enjoy some ice cream and have some fun.

That is my message to the kos community with this diary, and I think a little bit of a smile is a nice break between the 100000 Palin diaries. (one of which I posted myself yesterday)

Besides, in general you aren't going to get much serious journalistic work at midnight on a Saturday.

•  These aren't the droids you're looking for (1+ / 0-)
      furiousxxgeorge

I went back and found Granny Doc's post - how can I not, it's perma-pasted to the Rec List. And this diary so isn't what she was talking about.

It has at least been years since Ice Cream got any play on dKos. And that's not facetious - it's a brand new topic, with economic, political, and health discussions. It's nine times more interesting than corn, or beef - and you think those aren't political?

Three paragraphs of text, and this diary might make the Rec list. Precisely because it's not about Palin, Katrina, or pundits.

Diarists on dKos should strive for variety, as much as content-richness.

•  Hey Furriousxxgeorge for upgrading (1+ / 0-)
    furiousxxgeorge

the donut on my comment suggesting you delete your diary - at least I'm assuming that's why you rec'd it.  That's what I call real class!

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site